Skip to main content

Starting An Internet Business-Part 3-Get A Cheap Web Hosting Package

If you've chosen your domain name, you'll also need a place to store your information. This server space is what a web host is.

What you'll want to do is find a cheap web hosting package. When I say "cheap," I don't mean low quality.

There are so many places to get web hosting, that searching for an affordable one could be tough.

Most of the big named companies offer tons of web hosting packages, but unfortunately are pretty expensive. I'm pretty surprised that Yahoo is still offering their starter package close to $12/mo, with a $25 startup fee. I guess it's the name that sells.

Over the last decade, I've tried out several hosting companies. For over the past 2 years, I've chosen a service where I have 10 websites set up on. If you want to set up one website, you pay $1/mo. If you want to have 10 websites, it's $2.95/mo. They have a startup fee, but it's pretty small compared to the monthly savings.

Before selecting the package for your business, make sure you look at how much server space and bandwidth (transfer limit) you need. For most websites, the $1 or the $2.95 packages are OK. Content (in text format) takes very little space and bandwidth. If you're going to be serving audio, video, or other huge downloads, consider looking at advanced hosting. You can alway start with a basic package and upgrade as your needs grow.

Some people think that since the service is so cheap, there has to be some catch or some other issues. Since I've been using their services, there has been some minor annoyances. All I could say is if you're expecting somebody to walk you through step-by-step, this might not be the right service for you. I wasn't expecting them to do that...just a warning.

When I asked tech support questions, they replied quickly. Most of the time, the responses were good. However, there have been some times where I couldn't get the right answers until several emails later (email-based customer service does have disadvantages). I thought that my questions where common enough that they should include it in their FAQ (ie. SMTP or Sendmail configuration parameters-needed for setting up forums). I ended up finding my answers faster through online support forums and USENET.

Other than these issues, I think they have the best bang for the buck for a Windows based server.

For more information, check out the Onedollarhost site.


Are you looking for a UNIX based web host?

One of the best UNIX based web hosting I've reviewed is Dreamhost.

If you want a wide range of compatibility, flexibility, and stability, a UNIX based server might be the choice for you. If you're strictly an ASP programmer or you're using ASP scripts, you'll need to use the Windows IIS host that I previously mentioned.

Now this is a big steal if you're okay paying close to $7.99/mo or more. Their beginning package starts you off with unlimited domains and 1 TB of transfer. If you're an aggressive internet marketer, having as many domains as you could host is a big plus. This is in addition to unlimited subdomains.

There's too much that this host offers. Click here for more info.

===
A note about free hosting

There's a lot of sites offering free hosting. I've used many of them in the past for hobby sites. Most of these include advertisements using pop-ups or banners. The disadvantage of some of these sites are annoyances and reliability.

Since these sites are free, you never know how reliable your data storage is, how often your site will be down, or how long it will be free. Since your not paying anybody, what incentive do they have?

Another aspect to consider is credibility. Although your site may be informative, business sites with free hosting addresses don't give a professional image.

So if you have a long term site, you should consider hosting that you pay for.

Comments

Charles said…
I think he get's that from his mother :)

Through ASP, by default it has server side includes.

I also use scripted includes through PHP in my blogs

Popular posts from this blog

How To Stop Spambots From Stealing Your Email Address

If you've listed your email address on your website, I'm sure you've been bombarded with SPAM. Tons of email addresses are taken from websites manually, or through computer programs called SPAMbots. They rip email addresses for the sole purpose of spamming. One of the best ways to avoid these SPAM programs from taking advantage of your email address is to use a contact form. Using a server side form will hide your email address from site visitors, as well as SPAMbots. If you're not sure how to set up a form, you can also encrypt your email address. A site that I use is Email Riddler from Dynamic Drive . It will encrypt your email so that it is hidden from the SPAMbots. All you have to do is enter your email address, link text, and an optional subject line, click on the button and a javascript is automatically generated for you. Just copy it and paste it into your website where your email or contact us code would usually go.

Starting An Internet Business-Part 2-Do Some Domain Name Research

What is a domain name? Simply, it's your web address. You'll have to do some domain name research before choosing one. You can't just pick any web address. You have to pick one that's available, and most important, related to your niche. You'll see many sites that don't have an address related to their niche. If you want to strongly focus on making a brand name (ie. like Google), you could pick a domain name that is totally different from your niche. So why do I recommend choosing a relevant domain name? Search engines will rank domain a little bit higher if you include your primary site keyword in the domain name. I don't want to go overboard on this. If you're working on a site on plasma widescreen televisions, I wouldn't create a web address like: www.plasma-televisions-for-sale.com; Although this is keyword rich, you don't want to make it look like web spam (which can lower your rankings). Simply include 1 or 2 keywords into the title

My Recent Success With Keyword Avalanche

I recently started using PLR articles. They've been working out pretty well and saved me a bunch of time. I've subscribed to 2 sources, Content and More by James Jackson, and Keyword Avalanche by Scot Standke, Jim Morris, and the latest member, Tim Gorman. I prefer Keyword Avalanche more than Content and More. Although Content and More has over 700 articles a month for $19.99, they aren't fresh. I've found a few sites that have massively published all of the articles that Content and More offered. Since this site has had those article indexed for quite some time, I realized that they were just resell PLR articles. Update 8/15/06: I recently received an email from James about Contentandmore.com; His first month was filled with a bunch of old articles so that he could offer a lot during his initial promotion. All future monthly articles will be brand new. The latest package does prove that they are fresh. Keyword Avalanche offers fresh PLR articles, keyword l